04/17: Beginning Copperplate/Pointed-Pen, Part 1 (Virtual Calligraphy Class)
Time & Location
About the Workshop
Workshop Size: 5-20 Students
Join Queeny, artist and owner of Traveling Calligrapher, in this virtual pointed-pen workshop for absolute beginners! This workshop will be structured very similary to my in-person workshops. There will be step-by-step instructions, live demos and it's perfect for people who have never tried pointed-pen or have no experience with handwriting. I'll teach you everything you need to know to get started with pointed-pen calligraphy in the comfort of your home or wherever you are at this time.
In this workshop, we focus on traditional letterforms based on the pointed-pen style called Copperplate with a touch of modern styles. Copperplate consists of thin upstrokes, thick downstrokes, and ovals. I will go over the all the tools, how to hold the pen, understanding the guidelines, and basic strokes for the first half of the class. In the second half, we will then go through the lowercase alphabet and an introduction on how to connect letters.
By the end of the course, you'll have learned a foundation you'll need to continue with pointed-pen calligraphy. After the class, to continue your growth and practice, we will have an optional Q&A time where you'll get an opportunity to ask any questions or see any demos.
Virtual Workshop Includes:
- 3 hours of instruction which includes a front facing camera of myself...but not for long until I change it to an overhead camera so you can easliy follow along the live demonstrations
- 15 minute (optional) Q&A after the workshop
- Calligraphy Workbook (A PDF digital copy will be emailed to you 3 days prior to print at home, if you need supplies, see instructions below)
* Supplies are sold separately
** This workshop is open to all students, if you are unable to attend due to the time zone difference, a recording will be available after class for 30 days via Zoom **
What you will need for the workshop:
- Calligraphy Supplies (see list below)
- A viewing device that is able to connect with Zoom (Computer, Tablet, Phone, etc.) You are welcome to use a camera to show your work during the workshop
- A quiet, distract-free table space for the workshop
- Oblique Pen Holder
- Nib (Zebra G or Nikko G is recommended)
- Bleedproof Blank Practice Paper (Rhodia Graph Paper or HP 32lb Laser Jet Paper Recommended)
- Calligraphy Ink (non-waterproof sumi ink)
- Calligraphy Ink Holder
- Color pen
- Paper towels
- Cup with water
- Small raw potato
Already have supplies?
You're halfway there! Purchase the "Workshop Only" ticket if you have all the supplies you need to take the workshop. I will send you a PDF calligraphy guide a few days before the workshop.
Don't Have Supplies?
Don't you fret! Purchase the "Workshop & Supplies Kit" ticket to receive a calligraphy kit (Oblique pen holder, nib, paper, ink and ink holder). This ticket includes the workshop, supplies, shipping, PDF calligraphy guide, and one round of feedback. Last day to purchase this ticket is Wednesday, March 31st, 2021 to give me ample time to ship the supplies to you before the workshop.
If you are missing some supplies, I have them indivdually listed on my online shop. You're welcome to purchase what you're missing here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/tcalligrapher.
Last day to purchase the "Workshop & Supplies Kit" Ticket as well as supplies is Wednesday, March 31st, 2021 to ensure your supplies arrive on-time for the workshop.
Interested in the 2nd part of this workshop?
I am having a Part 2 workshop as a tagalong for this workshop. I will be going over perfecting the basic strokes, tricky letter connections and introducing the basic strokes for Uppercase Letters!
You may purchase both classes at a discount at checkout.
*registration is limited, an advanced payment is required to secure the workshop.
*This class is beginner level course catered to students with no previous knowledge.
- Sold OutWorkshop & Kit | Part 1& 2$135$1350$0
- Workshop Only | Part 1$65$650$0
- Workshop Only | Part 1 & 2$105$1050$0